Len Thuesen #7



Unreal red light inked itself onto a light standard on 142 St last night as I waited to cross the road. The temporary red on the pole was cast from the overhead traffic signal. I was on my bicycle, headed downtown for a newspaper.

Memory tugged.

We had a radio when I was a boy. It sat in a small, black cabinet about a foot and half high and as much wide and it had a black handle on the top. The dial glided across the numbers under the illuminated glass display as I wheeled the knob back and forth. That tiny stick of light glowed like a match. Or a lure in the water. For hours, I sat transfixed in the dark in my basement room listening to voices from afar. At night, stations from Seattle and even California pulsed in. It was eerie, that crackle, those voices that came from out there. Augusta La Paix brought Billy Bragg in. Len Thuesen brought Mark Knopfler in. I loved it.

These memories swirled up last night as I rode the multi-use path in Glenora. It was black, chilly, windy. I was alone. The fallen leaves on the sidewalk crackled like static under the bicycle tires. I hummed as I pedalled, pulled ahead.

Crackle

I stopped and turned around and wheeled back and forth until I captured a pic of the ground on my phone.

That hook with the red swirl was still in, firmly.

The original Len Thompson #7












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello!

:)

On the way to and from Coffee Outside